Are you a marketing enthusiast? And looks forward to pursuing a career in marketing? There’s a noticeable spike in the number of companies acquiring digital marketing for robust sales.
Digital marketing is a dynamic industry that comes with many benefits but also many challenges. If you plan to get into digital marketing now, the best thing about it is that you don’t need a traditional marketing degree to get started; however, training from an expert is required.
Here are ten things you can do right now to start a digital marketing career:
1- Learn the Basics of Digital Marketing
For beginners in digital marketing, the first obvious step is to understand what digital marketing is and the main components that make up digital marketing.
Digital marketing or online marketing, as it is sometimes known, is a broad term used to describe the marketing process on the Internet.
It has several components that cover all areas of online promotion. You need to understand that it’s not a single discipline but has many processes (channels) that can participate in a digital marketing campaign.
2- Get Your Landing Page
These days, when it comes to landing a job in almost any field, you might as well not exist without an online presence.
For obvious reasons, this is especially true of digital marketing: a prospective employer will look online first to learn about applicants, and if they can’t find you, they will move on to the next person with a curated image.
Create your digital marketing blog, social media accounts linked to websites you have built, portfolios, etc. Show them what you are capable of.
3- Know the Latest Trends
Digital marketing is a career that is always on the move and constantly changing. If you choose it as a career, you must keep up with the latest trends. The needs of this industry vary over time, and if you fall behind, someone else will be waiting to take your place.
Attend virtual seminars, take online classes, and do your best to stay ahead of the game rather than keep up with it.
4- Use Your Creativity
Digital marketing allows you to use creative gifts in various ways. Yes, some methods and systems are standardized for specific applications, but you can always add your flair to projects, making them creative and unique.
Digital marketing is built on creativity, so give it a try if you have an idea that you think will work. The more creative you are, the more likely you will be noticed and land that dream job.
5- Get a Google Ads Certification
Part of your job responsibilities as a digital marketing consultant is to use Google Ads (previously known as Google AdWords) to promote products or services in the various Google properties and websites on the Internet.
The fastest way to acquire the necessary skills is to get a Google Ads certification. Google has many resources to help you become a Google AdWords Expert, and getting a certificate is a great way to prove to your clients or potential employers that you have the necessary skills.
6- Familiarize yourself with the tools
Digital marketers use it to improve and optimize their strategies and campaigns. And since you are just starting, you should try practicing your skills on free tools instead of paying for premium ones. Here are some top free tools for digital marketing services:
- Canva (Design Tool) offers a wide range of editing templates, perfect for creating your social media marketing campaigns and website blogs.
- Google Analytics (Ads Analytic Tool) provides data such as traffic, engagement, and others that let marketers optimize their ads and organic campaign. It also includes information about sales, user demographic, and conversions.
- Hubspot (Content Marketing Tool) is an all-in-one platform that offers a variety of benefits to marketers. Marketers can use this tool on SEO, social media, CRM, and more. It features a Blog Topic Generator that helps content marketers get questions, pain points, and objections for their crucial topic.
- MailChimp (Email Marketing Tool) is excellent for creating email marketing campaigns and automating routine tasks, such as sending a newsletter, updates, etc., to clients. This tool also comes with analytics – indicating data such as open rate, response rate, and more.
7- Master social media marketing
The next step to start a career in digital marketing is to explore social media and how it can help a business. Most social platform offers ad creation. And as a digital marketing specialist, you need to know how these social media networks work. It would help if you researched what works best for every business:
- Facebook is a good network for any business. It has one billion daily users from different industries and aspects of life. This platform works best to build a community, post jobs, interact with people, and connect with your consumers.
- Instagram is suitable for posting creative and visually appealing posts. It is perfect for reaching the younger generation. It comes with several features such as stories and now reels. It’s an excellent way to showcase your products and collaborate with influencers to promote your brand.
- Twitter is a brilliant marketing platform for reaching businesses, journalists, celebrities, or politicians. You can also find a way to use it in your marketing campaign by constantly engaging with your audience and adding value to your posts.
- LinkedIn is perfect for reaching businesses and professionals in different fields, posting job ads, and collaborating with people.
- YouTube is one of the most popular video-based platforms worldwide. Using YouTube lets marketers connect with their target audience differently through long-form and short-form video content. Just optimize it by creating a relatable title and using the proper tags for your videos.
Yes, it takes essential steps to be a digital marketer. When you eventually achieve these ten steps, then signs you’re ready for a career in digital marketing. A career in digital marketing is not easy. You will commit mistakes that may affect your morale and confidence in your journey. However, try not to learn from it and do what works well.